Let’s exercise the entrepreneurial instinct we all have.
At my recent S.H.E. Summit in New York for female leaders, author Monica Mehta talked about the inner drive that everyone possesses. “It’s the mindset that allows you to take smart risks, thrive in ambiguity and pick yourself up after failure,” said Mehta, whose book is called The Entrepreneurial Instinct. “It’s why the team that looks good on paper doesn’t always win and why the dropout sometimes becomes the billionaire. It’s innate in and available to all of us.”
We are learning more and more that entrepreneurialism is a mindset. In order to drive innovation and change, or to do something in a way that hasn’t been done, or to fill a hole or an invisible space that needs to be filled … we need to activate a quality that is inside all of us.
As you rest and re-charge this summer, find moments to exercise your entrepreneurial instincts so that you can define new goals and problems you want to solve. To get your creative and courage juices flowing, here are some of my favorite quotes from speakers at this year’s event:
1. “Dreaming is the most powerful thing because no one can take it from you.”
— Catherine Malandrino, Fashion Designer
2. “If you wish to achieve greatness, don’t ask for permission.”
— Marina Maher, CEO, Marina Maher Communications
3. “Just because you don’t see something … doesn’t mean you can’t become something that doesn’t yet exist.”
— Karyn Twaronite, Partner, Ernst & Young LLP & EY Americas Inclusiveness Officer
4. “Start a business plan for yourself, not for anyone else.”
— Alexa Von Tobel, Founder & CEO, LearnVest.com
5. “A lack of confidence prevents women from taking action. Action is what gives women confidence. So start doing something.”
— Shilpa Shah, Co-Founder & CXO, Cuyana
6. “Women don’t think that they should be bold or daring or courageous … We feel like those words are more synonymous with men. But women need to start coloring outside the lines.”
— Evy Poumpouras, Security and Investigative National News Contributor & Former Secret Service Special Agent